Add multiple students at once (bulk upload with Excel)
If you have a batch of students to upload, use the upload via spreadsheet option (you will need access to Microsoft Excel to use this option). The bulk upload option is accessed from the Students page.
Tip: It’s best to use the bulk upload function via a desktop or laptop computer (instead of an iPad or tablet). We recommend using MS Office 2007 or higher when accessing the spreadsheet.
1. Go to the Students page in the Management area of PM eCollection. Select CREATE STUDENT PROFILE (the blue button on the left-hand menu).
2. Select the ‘Upload via spreadsheet’ option.
3. Click the blue DOWNLOAD EXCEL FILE button to begin.
Tip: The spreadsheet will download and save to your browser’s default download folder – usually called ‘Downloads’, or to a folder you choose manually. Locate and open the spreadsheet called Cengage_Students_Bulk_Upload_file.xlsx. Once open, the file may be in ‘read-only’ mode. If this is the case, a yellow message will appear at the top, under the file menu. Click ‘Enable Editing’ to get started.
4. Enter your student data into the spreadsheet. The blue columns are mandatory and must be completed for each student. The green columns are optional and do not need to be completed.
Tip: After entering your student data, refer to the Key on the right-hand side of the spreadsheet to help you identify data entry errors.
Aqua cells, in a row that includes student data, indicate a missing required value.
Orange cells indicate data that does not match the required values for that column. This can be corrected by selecting a value from the dropdown menu for the cell or by deleting data from the cell.
5. ‘Save As’ the file to your computer. To upload the completed spreadsheet, click BROWSE on the bulk upload page. Locate the file on your computer and click ‘Open’ in the window to load it.
6. Click UPLOAD to confirm. (Depending on the number of students to be uploaded, this may take a short amount of time.)
Tip: Confirmation of upload success (or error) will be displayed at the top of the screen, above the Manual, Upload, Search tabs.